Arimatsu, Nagoya, JAPAN
NAGOYA – ARIMATSU – KYOTO – MIYAMA – TAKASAKI – KIRYU – CHICHIBU – TOKYO
May 20- June 06, 2016 (17 nights) – Main Program
Optional Pre-Tour Extension: May 15-20 (5 nights)
to Benesse House & Museum and art projects on Naoshima, Teshima, Shodoshima Islands, and from Setouchi Triennale 2016
TO REGISTER and secure your space
Read our Registration page
Actions: activate WSN membership by completing online SFS Form, remit Tour Deposit, sign and return Acknowledgement and Disclaimer forms
Current WSN Members receive priority registration. Otherwise, become a member now for this trip!
Focus: Silk • Meisen Kimono • Shibori • Indigo • Culture • Crafts. Traditional skills, modern techniques, collaborative innovations. Museums, gardens, temples, nature, craft villages, local festival, traditional inn, seminars on sericulture and carved board clamp resist dyeing, weaving, Meisen kimono cloth printing demo;Optional programs on indigo dyeing, and 3-session technical workshop in Arimatsu. The timing of this program is designed to coincide with Japan’s annual Shibori Fest in Arimatsu. This Arimatsu program is offered annually around May/June. Special Extension for 2015 (4 nights): once-in-a-life time contemporary art experience at Benesse House and Museum on Naoshima, Shodoshima, and Teshima Islands in the Inland Sea.
Total Tour Price: ¥ 568,000* JPY (based on 15 pax. price adjusted if less than 15 participants), (includes $500 deposit, does not include international airfare or JR Pass)
Reservation Deposit: $500 USD
Optional Pre-Main Tour Extension (5 nts): ¥ (updating/forthcoming) JPY (based on 10+ pax), includes all transport including bullet train from Nagoya/ Himeji & Okayama/Nagoya. Price adjusted if less than 10 pax, see below “Optional Programs“**
Questions? yoshiko [AT] yoshikowada.com
ITINERARY + PACKAGE
Itinerary + Package available for download by registered travelers on password-protected page.
For more information, email yoshiko [AT] yoshikowada.com.
- Tour Price Eligibility: current World Shibori Network web members (membership must be current at sign up). WSN 2015-16 membership expiring 5/31/16 are eligible. Read more in our Registration (closed) page.
- *Total Fare: ¥ 568,000 JPY (based on 15 pax). Price will be adjusted if less than 10 participants or more than 15 pax. See currency exchange rate calculator link below (includes $500 deposit).
- Price based on shared occupancy
- Single Supplement on Main Tour^: + ¥ 48,000 JPY (pending availability)
- Deposit: $500 USD ($100.00 processing fee if cancelled before 15 February 2016, other fees apply after this date. Please see Cancellation page)
- **OPTIONAL Pre-Main Tour Extension: ¥ TBD JPY (10+ pax). View Optional Programs below if less than 10 pax for Pre-Tour Extension.
- Single Supplement for Extension^: + ¥ TBD JPY (pending availability, subject to changes).
- ^Solo travelers: Single Supplement surcharge may apply for solo travelers. Because our tours are based on shared occupancy, it may be necessary that those traveling alone (should there be an odd number) be put up in a single room through the entirety of the tour. This is particularly true for men traveling solo. To offset this cost, a Single Supplement surcharge may be applied. Please consult with Yoshiko.
- Minimum # sign-ups: less than 5 ppl, tour will take place with some changes to inclusive items (Program will not change. Pricing will be adjusted).
- Note: When we invite local guests for meals, we share the expense amongst the group. The program begins at a hotel in Nagoya (arrival is on your own). Yoshiko will act in the dual role of program leader and also as a guide to cut cost to minimum.
- Included in Tour Price (overview)
- mid-range, moderately simple accommodations (based on double occupancy, and in business hotels single occupancy);
- fabulous country style Japanese inn with amazing local food and hot bath in villages
- some ground transportation
- entry fees to some museums / temples / sightseeing sites (some- but not all);
- opt-in natural indigo dye seminar
- honoraria to specialists and lecturers;
- breakfasts as noted;
- some lunches and some dinners including a memorable farewell dinner at a unique restaurant;
- Optional programs:
- ¥ 30,000 JPY — Arimatsu technical workshop (3 hands-on morning sessions, 1 seminar, INCLUDES class material & lab fee including work done by the Kuno Dye work) Paid to SFS in Japan.
- ¥ TBD JPY (10+ pax). [If less than 10 persons: ¥ 203,500 JPY (8 pax); and ¥ 219,000 JPY (6 pax)] — Pre-Tour Extension to Seto Inland Sea islands of Naoshima, Teshima, Shodoshima includes: 1 nt in Nagoya, 1 nt in Shodoshima, 1 nt in Takamatsu, and 2 nts accommodation on Naoshima. Included in price are train/ferry fares from Nagoya, Islands, and back to Okayama, 1 welcome orientation dinner in Nagoya, 4 breakfasts, 1 local seafood dinner, and 1 dinner at Michelin star restaurant in Benesse.
- Not included (i.e. your responsibility)
- International airfare;
- Airport shuttle to hotel on your arrival and departure day;
- Japan Rail Pass, 7 day ordinary (last Summer 2015: $375/€283) Each traveler must purchase in his/her own country before departure (RailPasses are not sold in Japan). This is to cut down the cost of domestic travel. Yoshiko will facilitate the activation of JR Pass for a portion of train travel during the tour.
- Alcohol and soft drinks with meals
- Porter service
See Reservation page for payment instruction.
Refer to payment schedule in Payments & Cancellation pdf (below)
- $500 deposit to WSN – pay immediately to secure your spot
- Payment 1 to Nippon Travel Agency “NTA”, Tokyo (our travel agent in Japan) – due February 01, 2016
- Payment 2 to NTA – due April 15, 2016
CANCELLATION POLICY / DISCLAIMERS
Download, print, sign, return. You can view a typical cancellation policy for Japan under Cancellations.
By April 1: email or fax a photocopy of your passport to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / subject: SFS JP 16 Pass
PREP HANDOUTS & MEETING POINTS
Available on Registered Travelers page. This page is password protected. After your reservation deposit is received, you will be emailed a confirmation message with password. On this page travelers will find important handouts (travel prep, cultural customs, meeting points, etc).
Once you have made your travel arrangements, send us your flight details via this online form (launches new window)
If you need additional accommodation in Nagoya, Kanayama preceding or following the SFS tour, please reserve directly with the hotel in NAGOYA here: http://m-inn.com/en/hotel/kanayama.html