Arimatsu, Nagoya, JAPAN (updated Jan 14, 2016)
NAGOYA – ARIMATSU – KYOTO – MIYAMA – TAKASAKI – KIRYU – CHICHIBU – TOKYO
2016 May 20- June 05 (16 nights/17 days) – Main Program
Optional Pre-Tour Extension: 2016 May 15-20 (Updated 01/14/16) 5 nights, instead of 4 nights (past tours) to include an additional island to see artworks from the 2016 Setouchi Triennale. You will also enjoy Buddhist pilgrimage sites and traditional soy sauce maker’s cedar barrels working for more than 150 years.
To the art heaven among the old world island landscapes and mecca for all art professionals and connoisseurs, Benesse House & Museum and art projects on Naoshima, Teshima, Shodoshima, Ogi or Megi Islands – once in a life Contemporary ART experience!
Read about a report by a SFS traveler, B.Shapiro SFS Tour gives insider access to Japanese textile.
TO REGISTER and secure your space
Read our Registration page
Actions: activate WSN membership by completing online SFS Form, remit Tour Deposit, sign and return Acknowledgement and Disclaimer forms
Current WSN Members receive priority registration. Otherwise, become a member now for this trip!
Focus: Silk • Meisen Kimono • Shibori • Indigo • Culture • Crafts. Traditional skills, modern techniques, collaborative innovations. Museums, gardens, temples, nature, craft villages, local festival, traditional inn, seminars on sericulture and carved board clamp resist dyeing, weaving, Meisen kimono cloth printing demo;Optional programs on indigo dyeing, and 3-session technical workshop in Arimatsu. The timing of this program is designed to coincide with Japan’s annual Shibori Fest in Arimatsu. This Arimatsu program is offered annually around May/June. Special Extension for 2016 (5 nights): once-in-a-life time contemporary art experience at Benesse House and Museum on Naoshima, Shodoshima, Ogi or Megi, and Teshima Islands in the Inland Sea.
Total Tour Price for Main Tour : ¥ 568,000* JPY (based on 15 pax.), (includes $500 deposit, does not include international airfare or JR Pass).
Reservation Deposit: $500 USD
Optional Pre-Main Tour Extension (5 nts) price: ¥ 199,000 JPY (based on 10+ pax), includes all transport including bullet train from Nagoya/ Himeji & Okayama/Nagoya. Price adjusted if less than 10 pax: ¥ 203,000 JPY (based on 8+ pax); ¥ 219,000 JPY (based on 6+ pax) includes: 1 nt in Nagoya; 1 nt in Shodoshima; 1 nt in Takamatsu; and 2 nts accommodation at Benesse House Park on Naoshima; all train/ferry fares from Nagoya, Islands, and back to Nagoya, 1 welcome orientation dinner in Nagoya, 5 breakfasts, 1 local seafood dinner, and 1 dinner at Michelin star restaurant in Benesse.
Questions? yoshiko [AT] yoshikowada.com
ITINERARY + PACKAGE
Itinerary + Package available for download by registered travelers on password-protected page.
For more information, email yoshiko [AT] yoshikowada.com.
- Tour Price Eligibility: current World Shibori Network web members (membership must be current at sign up). WSN 2015-16 membership expiring 5/31/16 are eligible and extended membership is given. Read more in our Registration (closed) page.
- *Total Fare: ¥ 568,000 JPY (based on 15 pax). Price will be adjusted if less than 15 participants. See currency exchange rate calculator link below (includes $500 deposit). *Total Fare: ¥ 588,000 JPY(based on 14 pax),and ¥ 608,000 JPY (based on 13 pax)
- Price based on shared occupancy
- Single Supplement on Main Tour^: + ¥ 48,000 JPY
- Deposit: $500 USD ($100.00 processing fee if cancelled before 15 February 2015, other fees apply after this date. Please see Cancellation page)
- Single Supplement for Extension^: + ¥ 45,000 JPY (pending availability, updated 1/14/16).
- ^Solo travelers: Single Supplement surcharge may apply for solo travelers. Because our tours are based on shared occupancy, it may be necessary that those traveling alone (should there be an odd number) be put up in a single room through the entirety of the tour. This is particularly true for men traveling solo. To offset this cost, a Single Supplement surcharge may be applied. Please consult with Yoshiko.
- Minimum # sign-ups: less than 5 ppl, tour will take place with some changes to inclusive items (Program will not change. Pricing will be adjusted).
- Note: When we invite local guests for meals, we share the expense amongst the group. The program begins at a hotel in Nagoya (arrival is on your own). Yoshiko will act in the dual role of program leader and also as a guide to cut cost to minimum.
- Included in Tour Price (overview)
- mid-range, moderately simple accommodations (based on double occupancy, and in business hotels single occupancy);
- fabulous country style Japanese inn with amazing local food and hot bath in villages
- some ground transportation
- entry fees to some museums / temples / sightseeing sites (some- but not all);
- opt-in natural indigo dye seminar
- honoraria to specialists and lecturers;
- breakfasts as noted;
- well planned, memorable lunches and some dinners including a farewell dinner and at a unique restaurant in Kyoto;
- Optional programs:
- ¥ 30,000 JPY — Arimatsu workshop with local artisans (3 hands-on morning sessions, 1 seminar, INCLUDES class material & lab fee including work done by the Kuno Dye work taught by master artisans and assisted by local artists) Paid to SFS in Japan.
- Not included (i.e. your responsibility)
- International airfare;
- Airport shuttle to hotel on your arrival and departure day;
- Japan Rail Pass, 7 day ordinary (last Summer 2014: $375/€283) Each traveler must purchase in his/her own country before departure (RailPasses are not sold in Japan). This is to cut down the cost of domestic travel. Yoshiko will facilitate the activation of JR Pass for a portion of train travel during the tour.
- Entry fees to placed that are not included in the itinerary
- Alcohol and soft drinks with meals
- Porter service
See Reservation page for payment instruction.
Refer to payment schedule in Payments & Cancellation pdf (below)
- $500 deposit to WSN – pay immediately to secure your spot
- Payment 1 to NTA, Tokyo (our travel agent in Japan) – due February 01, 2016
- Payment 2 to NTA – due April 15, 2016
CANCELLATION POLICY / DISCLAIMERS
Download, print, sign, return. You can view a typical cancellation policy for Japan under Cancellations.
- SFS JP 2015 (to be updated for 2016) Payments & Cancellation PDF
- SFS JP 2015 Disclaimers (to be updated for 2016) PDF
By April 1: email or fax a photocopy of your passport to:
Email: email@example.com / subject: SFS JP 16 Pass
PREP HANDOUTS & MEETING POINTS
Available on Registered Travelers page. This page is password protected. After your reservation deposit is received, you will be emailed a confirmation message with password. On this page travelers will find important handouts (travel prep, cultural customs, meeting points, etc).
Once you have made your travel arrangements, send us your flight details via this online form (launches new window)
www.xe.com CURRENCY CONVERSION
users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm ELECTRIC CONVERSIONS
If you need additional accommodation in Nagoya, Kanayama preceding or following the SFS tour, please reserve directly with the hotel in NAGOYA here: http://m-inn.com/en/hotel/kanayama.html