SFS International Programs offers cultural and collaborative workshop programs developed with traditional artisan communities and small to medium-sized studios and factories. Our programs are held in specifically chosen regions of the world where textile and traditional culture runs deep. By design, SFS programs penetrate conventional tourism. Groups are small for a better learning experience and enables participants to engage with local communities. The programs are led by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada personally and seminars and workshops during the tour are led by her colleagues, friends, and WSN members.
Due to high popularity, SFS Tours are open only to current WSN members. Join WSN
September – October 2019
11th SFS Japan Program
Sustainable community living + Traditional artisanry + Contemporary art installations on islands + Festival in shibori town
Pre-Main Program: September 16-22, 2019 (6 nights, 6 days)
- Buddhist pilgrimage sites and traditional soy sauce maker on Shodoshima
- Inland Sea Art Islands with surprising art installations and sculptures on Shodohima, Inujima, Teshima, Naoshima in the year of the Setouchi Triennale
- Picturesque islands with rice patties and fishing villages against the gentle water of inland sea
Main Program: 20 September – 07 October (17 nights, 17 days)
Himeji → Kurashiki → Omoricho → Izumo → Matsue → Miyama → Kyoto → Miho Museum → Nagoya → Tokyo → Takasaki → Kiryu → Nagoya
- Old canal town to forgotten silver mine town, and grand Shinto shrine of Izumo and Ancient History Museum on the coast of the Sea of Japan
- Thatched-roofed villages; visit a master indigo dyer, Buddhist temples, gardens, art museums, and contemporary design studios
- Imperial Capital, Kyoto, to Shogunate Capital, Edo, now cosmopolitan Tokyo; handmade paper to pottery; and sericulture to textile mills
- Wide culinary experiences, including monks’ food, exquisite kaiseki, Bohemian fusion, sushi counter, and casual eateries
- Culminate your Japan experience by celebrating the Autumn Festival along the historic Tokaido highway with local friends .
View complete registration information at slowfiberstudios.com/japan2019
Looking for Support?
If you are applying for external funding for our Slow Fiber Studios programs, you may request a Letter of Support. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.