Lauris (Provence), France (updated 8/15/2013)
September 30- October 11: Natural Pigment & Dye Classes w/ Michel Garcia and technical field trips and classes
A rare opportunity to learn about sustainable natural dyeing from Michel Garcia at his atelier, and observe the filming of Natural Dye Workshop 3: Colors of Europe
Assisted by Yoshiko I. Wada and Catharine Ellis.
October 10-14: Optional EXTENSION to attend International Forum for Natural Dyes (forum international de la couleur végétale)+Farmer’s Festival
Attend the Forum to take workshops, hear lectures and shop at the artisan market. The Farmer’s (biologic) festival will be running alongside the forum in the same town. Celebrate the season with local dye stuffs and tasteful goods!
UPDATE: We now have our own Slow Fiber Studios gallery show at the Jardins De Magali, plus our own table at the artisan market. You can visit their website and check out past events in the garden, here (In English and French). For more information on the space, measurements, and details, click here. For more details click here
Click to Make a Reservation (Note: Payment date extended to September 1st.)
MAIN PROGRAM (Arrive Sept 30- Depart Oct 10, 2013) : Natural Dye and Pigment Lake Intensive with Michel Garcia
Travel to: Nimes-Tarascone-Fontaine deVaucluse-Lacoste-Apt-Lourmain-Roussillon-Lauris
Included in Tour Price:
- Accommodations(based on triple occupancy) in mid-range bed and breakfasts in a 17th century estate with vineyard.
- Private transportation to all locations listed in itinerary, for field trips and workshops.
- Travel to surrounding towns to view art, textiles and various artisan markets including Terres Mêlées pottery in Apt.
- Some entry fees to museums and other activities
- Breakfasts everyday, as well as many group dinners with our instructor, including a welcome dinner and farewell dinner.
- Insight into the purple Murex shell and it’s dye use, glimpse into Provencal cooking, as well as watercolor and drawing studio time.
ITINERARY + PACKAGE
Lauris 2013 Itinerary (Includes pricing)
Note: A more detailed Itinerary + Package will be available for download by registered travelers on the password-protected page. Participants will be given access after completing registration.
*Optional Extension (Arrive Oct 10, Depart Oct 14, 2013): Forum international de la couleur végétale
International Forum for Natural Dyes(forum international de la couleur végétale) hosted by the “Association Couleur Garance,” Lauris
- 3 day Forum includes: Lectures, demos, artisan market, exhibition and 1 lunch + 1 dinner. Optional workshops can be taken for an additional 100 euros.
- Feature your work at the Slow Fiber Studios table at the artisan market. Help us man the booth, and promote your own projects!
- Preliminary Programming PDF: forum international de la couleur végétale (French) // International Forum for Natural Dyes (English)
- Gallery Exhibition: Seeds of Color in the Flow of Time (Le temps s’égraine) / If you would like to submit work, click here for submission form. The exhibition will be showcased in the Conservatoire Couleur Garance.
- The Farmers (biologic) festival will be running parallel with the Forum. The festival celebrates the organic farmers and natural alternatives in the region. All day, shuttles will be available for visitors to enjoy the two events.
- Tour Price Eligibility: current World Shibori Network web members (membership must be current at sign up). Read more on our Registration page.
- Main Fare: €1500 (does not include Garcia workshop and materials fee: €600),includes $400 registration deposit (equal to € value at time of exchange). 11 nights of stay.
- Extension Fare: €490, includes Forum registration fee €200. 4 nights of stay. Price based on 12 participants, and TRIPLE occupancy. Priority registration for Whole program (Main+Extension)
- Above fares are based on 12 ppl, TRIPLE occupancy.
- Single and Double occupancy accommodation is recommended for those who do NOT wish to have Triple occupancy. Supplement fee will apply.
- Deposit: $400 USD to secure reservation. For terms of cancellation and penalty fees, see document on Registered Travelers page.
Natural Organic Pigment and Lakes making with Michel Garcia using plant materials wisely from left-over dye bath etc; eco-friendly + safer + more sustainable methods revised from traditional European approaches. Using pigment lakes, you will learn to dye cloth (protein fiber), make paint with various binders and apply them on paper, wood and other surfaces. An opportunity to go over Michel’s instruction by sitting in the filming sessions of the workshop in the morning and hands-on workshop in the afternoon for 6 days.
To learn more about Michel and his teaching style, including video clips from his two DVDs, “Colors of Provence using sustainable methods on cotton” and “Colors of the Americas on wool : natural dyeing with sustainable methods” visit naturaldyeworkshop.com
1. $400 USD Registration Fee– due immediately to reserve your spot
2. Payment of remaining balance to World Shibori Network – Due August 1st, 2013
3. Payment of €600 to Slow Fiber Studios, in Lauris, France – Due on Oct. 2nd, 2013
CANCELLATION POLICY/ DISCLAIMERS
Please review and follow accordingly. The following policies apply to all participants.
PREP HANDOUTS & MEETING POINTS
Available on Registered Travelers page. This page is password protected. After your reservation deposit is received, you will be emailed a confirmation message with password. On this page, travelers will find important handouts (travel prep, cultural customs, meeting points, etc).
Once you have made your travel arrangements, send us your flight details via this online form(launches new window)